How do you follow up an album like Epiphany, the 2009 sophomore set that earned Chrisette Michele a place of honor in both the Billboard charts and critics’ hearts? Simple: you aim even higher! Recognizing that her only limit is the sky, the soul songstress goes for broke on the lead single off her junior album, announcing to the world, “Baby I’m a Star tonight.” As on last year’s reader-acclaimed What You Do, songwriting and production fall to the dynamic duo of (respectively) Ne-Yo and Chuck Harmony; the end result, though, has a more pop-friendly, upbeat vibe befitting the victorious lyrical theme. Harmony’s tuneful piano chords and clattering, cutlery-esque percussion set the stage for a timeless tale of triumph over adversity, delivered with all the smooth vocal muscle fans have come to expect. The gritty determination and “I’ma do me” philosophy Chrisette Michele showcases here are sure to serve her well in the music game, but does this light and airy offering bode well for her latest set? If you think so, you’ll want to mark your calendars for the November 30, release of Let Freedom Reign.
Listen to More: Chrisette Michele
Written by richard on 09/29/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones ft. Chrisette Michele" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.