How do you follow up an album like Epiphany, the 2009 sophomore set that earned Chrisette Michele a place of honor in both the Billboard charts and critics’ hearts? Simple: you aim even higher! Recognizing that her only limit is the sky, the soul songstress goes for broke on the lead single off her junior album, announcing to the world, “Baby I’m a Star tonight.” As on last year’s reader-acclaimed What You Do, songwriting and production fall to the dynamic duo of (respectively) Ne-Yo and Chuck Harmony; the end result, though, has a more pop-friendly, upbeat vibe befitting the victorious lyrical theme. Harmony’s tuneful piano chords and clattering, cutlery-esque percussion set the stage for a timeless tale of triumph over adversity, delivered with all the smooth vocal muscle fans have come to expect. The gritty determination and “I’ma do me” philosophy Chrisette Michele showcases here are sure to serve her well in the music game, but does this light and airy offering bode well for her latest set? If you think so, you’ll want to mark your calendars for the November 30, release of Let Freedom Reign.
Written by richard on 09/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.