How do you follow up an album like Epiphany, the 2009 sophomore set that earned Chrisette Michele a place of honor in both the Billboard charts and critics’ hearts? Simple: you aim even higher! Recognizing that her only limit is the sky, the soul songstress goes for broke on the lead single off her junior album, announcing to the world, “Baby I’m a Star tonight.” As on last year’s reader-acclaimed What You Do, songwriting and production fall to the dynamic duo of (respectively) Ne-Yo and Chuck Harmony; the end result, though, has a more pop-friendly, upbeat vibe befitting the victorious lyrical theme. Harmony’s tuneful piano chords and clattering, cutlery-esque percussion set the stage for a timeless tale of triumph over adversity, delivered with all the smooth vocal muscle fans have come to expect. The gritty determination and “I’ma do me” philosophy Chrisette Michele showcases here are sure to serve her well in the music game, but does this light and airy offering bode well for her latest set? If you think so, you’ll want to mark your calendars for the November 30, release of Let Freedom Reign.
Listen to More: Chrisette Michele
Written by richard on 09/29/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones ft. Chrisette Michele" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.