How do you follow up an album like Epiphany, the 2009 sophomore set that earned Chrisette Michele a place of honor in both the Billboard charts and critics’ hearts? Simple: you aim even higher! Recognizing that her only limit is the sky, the soul songstress goes for broke on the lead single off her junior album, announcing to the world, “Baby I’m a Star tonight.” As on last year’s reader-acclaimed What You Do, songwriting and production fall to the dynamic duo of (respectively) Ne-Yo and Chuck Harmony; the end result, though, has a more pop-friendly, upbeat vibe befitting the victorious lyrical theme. Harmony’s tuneful piano chords and clattering, cutlery-esque percussion set the stage for a timeless tale of triumph over adversity, delivered with all the smooth vocal muscle fans have come to expect. The gritty determination and “I’ma do me” philosophy Chrisette Michele showcases here are sure to serve her well in the music game, but does this light and airy offering bode well for her latest set? If you think so, you’ll want to mark your calendars for the November 30, release of Let Freedom Reign.
Written by richard on 09/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones ft. Chrisette Michele" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.