Chrisette Michele may swim with the current of musical inspiration, but she stays solid as a boulder when it comes to her principles. Tired of the vicious circle of her man doing wrong, apologizing, and repeating the same mistakes time and time again, Ms. Michele lets him know that, this time around, whether or not she lets him back in will depend on “What You Do.” Many of the track’s highlights come courtesy of the singer’s Def Jam labelmate, Ne-Yo, who contributes background vocals as well as handling songwriting and production duties; the end result recaptures the jazzy, old-school magic that made listeners love I Am, and should serve as a perfect lead-in to Epiphany‘s May 5th release. Let’s hope Michele’s musical formula will catch on with younger crowd (it will always appeal to us old souls).
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones ft. Chrisette Michele" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.