Chrisette Michele may swim with the current of musical inspiration, but she stays solid as a boulder when it comes to her principles. Tired of the vicious circle of her man doing wrong, apologizing, and repeating the same mistakes time and time again, Ms. Michele lets him know that, this time around, whether or not she lets him back in will depend on “What You Do.” Many of the track’s highlights come courtesy of the singer’s Def Jam labelmate, Ne-Yo, who contributes background vocals as well as handling songwriting and production duties; the end result recaptures the jazzy, old-school magic that made listeners love I Am, and should serve as a perfect lead-in to Epiphany‘s May 5th release. Let’s hope Michele’s musical formula will catch on with younger crowd (it will always appeal to us old souls).
Written by Burmy on 04/14/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones ft. Chrisette Michele" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.