Chrisette Michele has arguably the best voice in Hip-Hop. And if it’s not the best, it’s undoubtedly the most captivating. Songs like Lost Ones and Can’t Forget About You technically featured the singer, but they may as well have been her tracks. Now looking to continue to expand her reputation from just a ‘hook-singer’, Michele lets loose the title track off her new album, Let Freedom Reign. Produced by Chuck Harmony, the instrumental maintains a simple approach, highlighted by the kind of military snare that the title suggests in addition to overlaying vocal elements. The song also features all-star lyricists Talib Kweli - “My rhymes bridge the gap between religion and science/ Because my evidence is spiritual/ I know my sheer presence is a miracle” - and Black Thought - “These dirty dollar signs/ Black and white collar crimes/ Runnin’ out of time/ Out of sight, out of mind” - who both help make the cut lyrically exceptional. Michele also gets her due shine on the record, though some may wish she would have flexed her vocals a bit more. If you’re digging this, definitely be on the lookout for Michele’s album Let Freedom Reign, out Tuesday (November 30).
Written by Jon Garcia on 11/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.