Chrisette Michele has arguably the best voice in Hip-Hop. And if it’s not the best, it’s undoubtedly the most captivating. Songs like Lost Ones and Can’t Forget About You technically featured the singer, but they may as well have been her tracks. Now looking to continue to expand her reputation from just a ‘hook-singer’, Michele lets loose the title track off her new album, Let Freedom Reign. Produced by Chuck Harmony, the instrumental maintains a simple approach, highlighted by the kind of military snare that the title suggests in addition to overlaying vocal elements. The song also features all-star lyricists Talib Kweli - “My rhymes bridge the gap between religion and science/ Because my evidence is spiritual/ I know my sheer presence is a miracle” - and Black Thought - “These dirty dollar signs/ Black and white collar crimes/ Runnin’ out of time/ Out of sight, out of mind” - who both help make the cut lyrically exceptional. Michele also gets her due shine on the record, though some may wish she would have flexed her vocals a bit more. If you’re digging this, definitely be on the lookout for Michele’s album Let Freedom Reign, out Tuesday (November 30).
Written by Jon Garcia on 11/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.