Chrisette Michele has arguably the best voice in Hip-Hop. And if it’s not the best, it’s undoubtedly the most captivating. Songs like Lost Ones and Can’t Forget About You technically featured the singer, but they may as well have been her tracks. Now looking to continue to expand her reputation from just a ‘hook-singer’, Michele lets loose the title track off her new album, Let Freedom Reign. Produced by Chuck Harmony, the instrumental maintains a simple approach, highlighted by the kind of military snare that the title suggests in addition to overlaying vocal elements. The song also features all-star lyricists Talib Kweli - “My rhymes bridge the gap between religion and science/ Because my evidence is spiritual/ I know my sheer presence is a miracle” - and Black Thought - “These dirty dollar signs/ Black and white collar crimes/ Runnin’ out of time/ Out of sight, out of mind” - who both help make the cut lyrically exceptional. Michele also gets her due shine on the record, though some may wish she would have flexed her vocals a bit more. If you’re digging this, definitely be on the lookout for Michele’s album Let Freedom Reign, out Tuesday (November 30).
Written by Jon Garcia on 11/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)