Chrisette Michele has arguably the best voice in Hip-Hop. And if it’s not the best, it’s undoubtedly the most captivating. Songs like Lost Ones and Can’t Forget About You technically featured the singer, but they may as well have been her tracks. Now looking to continue to expand her reputation from just a ‘hook-singer’, Michele lets loose the title track off her new album, Let Freedom Reign. Produced by Chuck Harmony, the instrumental maintains a simple approach, highlighted by the kind of military snare that the title suggests in addition to overlaying vocal elements. The song also features all-star lyricists Talib Kweli - “My rhymes bridge the gap between religion and science/ Because my evidence is spiritual/ I know my sheer presence is a miracle” - and Black Thought - “These dirty dollar signs/ Black and white collar crimes/ Runnin’ out of time/ Out of sight, out of mind” - who both help make the cut lyrically exceptional. Michele also gets her due shine on the record, though some may wish she would have flexed her vocals a bit more. If you’re digging this, definitely be on the lookout for Michele’s album Let Freedom Reign, out Tuesday (November 30).
Written by Jon Garcia on 11/28/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost Ones ft. Chrisette Michele" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.