In the hip-hop world, rags-to-riches stories sell, and it’s relatively rare that a rapper will admit to a happy, comfortable childhood. Booth newcomer Chris Webby, however, is hardly your typical rapper. As the Connecticut native explains on this mixtape cut, he liked being a kid so much that he often wishes he could hop in a time machine and Go Back to those carefree years. Over Life’s Too Short beatsmith Hannibal King‘s wistful, soul-sampling boardwork, Webby revisits his salad days, waxing poetic about such simple pleasures as light-up sneakers, Tamagotchis and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (pogs, surprisingly enough, don’t make an appearance). Topped off with a closing verse by fellow Conn. rapper Oncue, Go Back is sure to resonate with anyone who grew up in the ‘90s (myself included, though I feel like 21’s a little young to be looking back nostalgically on the good old days). Fans can hear more from this hip-hop Peter Pan on his Teenage Mutant Ninja Rapper mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 09/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Best in the Burbs" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.