In the hip-hop world, rags-to-riches stories sell, and it’s relatively rare that a rapper will admit to a happy, comfortable childhood. Booth newcomer Chris Webby, however, is hardly your typical rapper. As the Connecticut native explains on this mixtape cut, he liked being a kid so much that he often wishes he could hop in a time machine and Go Back to those carefree years. Over Life’s Too Short beatsmith Hannibal King‘s wistful, soul-sampling boardwork, Webby revisits his salad days, waxing poetic about such simple pleasures as light-up sneakers, Tamagotchis and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (pogs, surprisingly enough, don’t make an appearance). Topped off with a closing verse by fellow Conn. rapper Oncue, Go Back is sure to resonate with anyone who grew up in the ‘90s (myself included, though I feel like 21’s a little young to be looking back nostalgically on the good old days). Fans can hear more from this hip-hop Peter Pan on his Teenage Mutant Ninja Rapper mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 09/21/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Best in the Burbs" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)