In the hip-hop world, rags-to-riches stories sell, and it’s relatively rare that a rapper will admit to a happy, comfortable childhood. Booth newcomer Chris Webby, however, is hardly your typical rapper. As the Connecticut native explains on this mixtape cut, he liked being a kid so much that he often wishes he could hop in a time machine and Go Back to those carefree years. Over Life’s Too Short beatsmith Hannibal King‘s wistful, soul-sampling boardwork, Webby revisits his salad days, waxing poetic about such simple pleasures as light-up sneakers, Tamagotchis and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (pogs, surprisingly enough, don’t make an appearance). Topped off with a closing verse by fellow Conn. rapper Oncue, Go Back is sure to resonate with anyone who grew up in the ‘90s (myself included, though I feel like 21’s a little young to be looking back nostalgically on the good old days). Fans can hear more from this hip-hop Peter Pan on his Teenage Mutant Ninja Rapper mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 09/21/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Best in the Burbs" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.