Are La Roux on their way to becoming hip-hop’s latest indie obsession? While I hadn’t heard of the English electro-pop duo till their hit single, In for the Kill, was flipped in a joint by The Illz, it’s looking like that could be the case; in addition to accompanying Nicki Minaj on a recent, non-Booth-featured mashup by Colin Munroe, the group serve as inspiration for Bulletproof, the latest offering from Connecticut up-and-comer Chris Webby. This cut, leak numero uno off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming mixtape, finds beatsmith Evo slicing and dicing elements from both Kill and La Roux’s follow-up single, also tittled Bulletproof, into a hard-hitting backdrop for the Kevlar flows of Webby and a heavyweight collaborator. In between the headliner’s aggressively braggadocious verses (“I’m deadly as ever when I’m severin’ the heads of any competitors…”), Slaughterhouse member/solo flame-spitter Joell Ortiz jumps on board to serve up a little lyrical ultraviolence of his own (with a side of… Destiny’s Child karaoke?). Digging this indie-infused banger? Then keep it locked for the latest details on Webby’s yet-untitled street album, due out sometime this fall.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.