Are La Roux on their way to becoming hip-hop’s latest indie obsession? While I hadn’t heard of the English electro-pop duo till their hit single, In for the Kill, was flipped in a joint by The Illz, it’s looking like that could be the case; in addition to accompanying Nicki Minaj on a recent, non-Booth-featured mashup by Colin Munroe, the group serve as inspiration for Bulletproof, the latest offering from Connecticut up-and-comer Chris Webby. This cut, leak numero uno off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming mixtape, finds beatsmith Evo slicing and dicing elements from both Kill and La Roux’s follow-up single, also tittled Bulletproof, into a hard-hitting backdrop for the Kevlar flows of Webby and a heavyweight collaborator. In between the headliner’s aggressively braggadocious verses (“I’m deadly as ever when I’m severin’ the heads of any competitors…”), Slaughterhouse member/solo flame-spitter Joell Ortiz jumps on board to serve up a little lyrical ultraviolence of his own (with a side of… Destiny’s Child karaoke?). Digging this indie-infused banger? Then keep it locked for the latest details on Webby’s yet-untitled street album, due out sometime this fall.
Written by richard on 10/4/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.