Are La Roux on their way to becoming hip-hop’s latest indie obsession? While I hadn’t heard of the English electro-pop duo till their hit single, In for the Kill, was flipped in a joint by The Illz, it’s looking like that could be the case; in addition to accompanying Nicki Minaj on a recent, non-Booth-featured mashup by Colin Munroe, the group serve as inspiration for Bulletproof, the latest offering from Connecticut up-and-comer Chris Webby. This cut, leak numero uno off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming mixtape, finds beatsmith Evo slicing and dicing elements from both Kill and La Roux’s follow-up single, also tittled Bulletproof, into a hard-hitting backdrop for the Kevlar flows of Webby and a heavyweight collaborator. In between the headliner’s aggressively braggadocious verses (“I’m deadly as ever when I’m severin’ the heads of any competitors…”), Slaughterhouse member/solo flame-spitter Joell Ortiz jumps on board to serve up a little lyrical ultraviolence of his own (with a side of… Destiny’s Child karaoke?). Digging this indie-infused banger? Then keep it locked for the latest details on Webby’s yet-untitled street album, due out sometime this fall.
Written by richard on 10/4/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Go Back" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.