Last we heard from Chris Skillz, it was November 11, 2011 and the Delaware spitter was venting about the commercialization of rap and other heavy subjects on the reader-acclaimed How I Feel. While the mathematical side of me is a little mad he didn’t seize the opportunity for a 12/12/2012 follow-up, I think we can all agree that it’s good to see him back on our pages with freshly-minted mixtape single Like What. Skillz opens the record by announcing, “It’s the return of that non-commercial rap, boom-bap,” and proceeds to deliver on that promise, lacing DA‘s throwback sample work with bars that are hard-hitting, tightly-wound and one-hundred percent real. Sure to elicit a hearty “That’s my sh*t!” from lyrical heads, Like What is just one of many raw and uncompromising cuts to be found on forthcoming street album Just Another Morning Pt. II, set to drop digitally this Saturday, June 29.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.