Last we heard from Chris Skillz, it was November 11, 2011 and the Delaware spitter was venting about the commercialization of rap and other heavy subjects on the reader-acclaimed How I Feel. While the mathematical side of me is a little mad he didn’t seize the opportunity for a 12/12/2012 follow-up, I think we can all agree that it’s good to see him back on our pages with freshly-minted mixtape single Like What. Skillz opens the record by announcing, “It’s the return of that non-commercial rap, boom-bap,” and proceeds to deliver on that promise, lacing DA‘s throwback sample work with bars that are hard-hitting, tightly-wound and one-hundred percent real. Sure to elicit a hearty “That’s my sh*t!” from lyrical heads, Like What is just one of many raw and uncompromising cuts to be found on forthcoming street album Just Another Morning Pt. II, set to drop digitally this Saturday, June 29.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.