Though it’s been a hot minute since Nas proclaimed the genre dead, there are still many heads who believe hip-hop needs rescuing from the vanity and superficiality pervading its most popular manifestations. Chris Sims is of that opinion, and he’s determined to do more than just complain about the situation. On his latest promo cut, S A V I O R, he showcases his determination to shake off those negative influences and take his craft to a higher level. Contrary to what the title may suggest, Sims doesn’t see himself as a flawless messiah; in his bars, he freely admits to his own failings, and asks a higher power to forgive his sins. The producer of the cut’s instrumental backdrop is sadly unknown, as it was submitted to Chris unlabeled, but whoever is behind the boards does the damn thing. Featuring solemn strings and vocoded harmonies, the beat echoes Kanye‘s MBDTF-era sound. Though S A V I O R isn’t part of a larger set, we’ll keep you posted on Sims’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 04/11/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.