For those who aren’t as in touch with their emotions as, say, Musiq Soulchild (who guarantees his unconditional love to a special lady on Yes, also featured this evening), relationships are frequently fraught with doubt and uncertainty. Take Booth newcomer Chris Sims, whose latest single finds him struggling with the realization that his affection for his girl may have faded. The Awesome Sound, in-house producer of Booth favorite XV, mans the boards, flipping a pensive sample from French electronic duo Télépopmusik’s breakup-themed single Close as the Michigan emcee agonizes over whether to walk out the door, or take the path of least resistance and stick around. Ultimately, guilt drives him back into her arms (“She’s so convincing that I give in, hoping to God that a miracle can sink in…”), but Sims’ misgivings on the back strongly imply that their love is not long for this world. A thought-provoking joint that should strike a chord with anyone who has difficulty letting go (so… pretty much all of us, right?), Imperfect is just one of many quality cuts set to appear on the artist’s Retrospecz mixtape, due out tomorrow (May 3).
Written by richard on 05/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.