If you tuned in to the first season of The X Factor USA, you likely remember Chris Rene, the Santa Cruz trash collector who stole the show with original jam Young Homie. While he ultimately finished third in the competition, program judge L.A. Reid was so taken by the hungry up-and-comer that he promptly signed the singer/songwriter to Epic Records. Today, Rene makes his grand entrance into The DJBooth with his first release as a major-label signee, debut promo single Trouble. A breezy ode to the perennial allure of the “bad girl,” this mellow summer jam finds producer Busbee layering reggae-tinged guitar strums over punchy hip-hop percussion as the singer describes how he fell for that woman his mother always warned him about. Though he knows he should run, all his protests are for naught—after the first encounter, he was permanently hooked. Time to weigh in, readers: are you as addicted to this single as Rene clearly is to the shawty in question? Then keep it locked; while there’s no word yet on a debut album, we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with all the latest tunes from Chris Rene.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.