If you tuned in to the first season of The X Factor USA, you likely remember Chris Rene, the Santa Cruz trash collector who stole the show with original jam Young Homie. While he ultimately finished third in the competition, program judge L.A. Reid was so taken by the hungry up-and-comer that he promptly signed the singer/songwriter to Epic Records. Today, Rene makes his grand entrance into The DJBooth with his first release as a major-label signee, debut promo single Trouble. A breezy ode to the perennial allure of the “bad girl,” this mellow summer jam finds producer Busbee layering reggae-tinged guitar strums over punchy hip-hop percussion as the singer describes how he fell for that woman his mother always warned him about. Though he knows he should run, all his protests are for naught—after the first encounter, he was permanently hooked. Time to weigh in, readers: are you as addicted to this single as Rene clearly is to the shawty in question? Then keep it locked; while there’s no word yet on a debut album, we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with all the latest tunes from Chris Rene.
Written by richard on 08/16/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.