In late ‘09, Chris Mathien stepped into the Booth with The Definition, an eclectic record which found the singer/songwriter defying those who would try and slap a label on his style. Nearly a year later, we’re happy to announce that the Chi-town native’s stuck to his guns… far from settling into any convenient box, Mathien sounds as confidently nonconformist as ever on the newly-leaked Spread. While the steamy theme and falsetto chorus momentarily brought me back to the Andre 3k joint that shares its title (my favorite off The Love Below), this cut’s overall feel is fresh and original; over a backdrop of squelching bass, downtempo percussion and strummed guitar chords, the artist waxes poetic about the joys of getting a little something-something in the early-AM hours, delivering verses that are equal parts poetically lofty (“You’re more than love, you’re more than God.”) and down-to-earth (“It’s six in the morning, I don’t care that we both got bad breath.”) Does this left-of-center bedroom burner put you in the mood to… listen to more new tunes from Chris Mathien? Then you’re in luck – there will be more Mathien leaks to follow.
Written by richard on 10/10/10
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.