What is the sound of one hand clapping? When a tree falls in the forest and no one’s around to hear it, does it make a sound? Precisely what type of artist is Chris Mathien, the mysterious hookman readers may remember from Windy City emcee R.O.E.‘s first feature, The Gloves (No Quit)? On new promo single The Definition (Mathien’s Booth debut as a headliner), the singer/songwriter/producer admits that not even he knows the answer to that last brain-teaser, but concludes, “I don’t want to be no one else but who you don’t expect me to be.” Whatever you want to call Mathien, he can certainly write a catchy tune – the artist’s laid-back, piano-led boardwork and off-the-cuff vocal presence add up to a sunny soul/pop/alternative joint sure to win him fans among our musically open-minded readership. Definition‘s not slated to be included on any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can keep it locked to our frontpage for more pleasant surprises from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 11/16/09
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.