What is the sound of one hand clapping? When a tree falls in the forest and no one’s around to hear it, does it make a sound? Precisely what type of artist is Chris Mathien, the mysterious hookman readers may remember from Windy City emcee R.O.E.‘s first feature, The Gloves (No Quit)? On new promo single The Definition (Mathien’s Booth debut as a headliner), the singer/songwriter/producer admits that not even he knows the answer to that last brain-teaser, but concludes, “I don’t want to be no one else but who you don’t expect me to be.” Whatever you want to call Mathien, he can certainly write a catchy tune – the artist’s laid-back, piano-led boardwork and off-the-cuff vocal presence add up to a sunny soul/pop/alternative joint sure to win him fans among our musically open-minded readership. Definition‘s not slated to be included on any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can keep it locked to our frontpage for more pleasant surprises from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 11/16/09
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.