Like many other R&B artists, Chris J has been singing ever since his early childhood. First nationally showcased on 106 & Park‘s Wild Out Wednesdays, the Memphis native soon caught the ear of industry heavyweight Plies, who would go on to sign him to Big Gates Records (founded by his incarcerated brother of the same nickname) and feature him on Da Realist‘s main single, Put It on Ya. One thing Chris’s mentor has apparently taught him is how to put together a hit single; buzz single Balcony has the makings of a radio hit. Chris J’s smooth voice, lyrics appealing to the wide female audience, and a slow-jam beat by Adonis should help Balcony establish Chris J as a household name and Big Gates as a hitmaking label. Secrets is currently set to be released sometime in the new year, around the same time as one of Plies’ uupcoming albums (whether it’ll be closer to the fourth or fifth remains to be seen).
Written by Burmy on 12/29/08
Submit your Rating
Big Gates Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Put It on Ya ft. Chris J" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.