Like many other R&B artists, Chris J has been singing ever since his early childhood. First nationally showcased on 106 & Park‘s Wild Out Wednesdays, the Memphis native soon caught the ear of industry heavyweight Plies, who would go on to sign him to Big Gates Records (founded by his incarcerated brother of the same nickname) and feature him on Da Realist‘s main single, Put It on Ya. One thing Chris’s mentor has apparently taught him is how to put together a hit single; buzz single Balcony has the makings of a radio hit. Chris J’s smooth voice, lyrics appealing to the wide female audience, and a slow-jam beat by Adonis should help Balcony establish Chris J as a household name and Big Gates as a hitmaking label. Secrets is currently set to be released sometime in the new year, around the same time as one of Plies’ uupcoming albums (whether it’ll be closer to the fourth or fifth remains to be seen).
Written by Burmy on 12/29/08
Submit your Rating
Big Gates Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Put It on Ya ft. Chris J" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)