First impressions are important, but they can also be very deceiving – and that goes double when the individual being sized up is as versatile as Chris Faust. In stark contrast to the Brooklyn hopeful’s Booth debut, the darkly experimental Book of Faust, newly-leaked mixtape cut Looking Back is positively… chill. Producer Ibe‘s lightly jazzy, piano-led beat makes for ideal vibe-out material, and Faust comes with fittingly mellow, introspective rhymes on the topics of progress and regret; he even kicks the cut off with a lyrical homage to Kanye‘s iconic Late Registration opener, Heard ‘Em Say. Unsurprisingly, longtime reader fave (and exclusive freestyle series contributor) Outasight excels on the guest tip, contributing his uniquely reedy sung vocals on the hook and outro as well as updating us on his major-label grind on the middle verse. So, readers, are you digging this more laid-back side of the artist’s style? Whatever your take on the matter, you won’t want to miss the eclectically fresh new material Chris is set to showcase on his FAUST LP, due out August 24.
Written by richard on 07/27/10
Yatta Mayjour Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Book of Faust" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)