First impressions are important, but they can also be very deceiving – and that goes double when the individual being sized up is as versatile as Chris Faust. In stark contrast to the Brooklyn hopeful’s Booth debut, the darkly experimental Book of Faust, newly-leaked mixtape cut Looking Back is positively… chill. Producer Ibe‘s lightly jazzy, piano-led beat makes for ideal vibe-out material, and Faust comes with fittingly mellow, introspective rhymes on the topics of progress and regret; he even kicks the cut off with a lyrical homage to Kanye‘s iconic Late Registration opener, Heard ‘Em Say. Unsurprisingly, longtime reader fave (and exclusive freestyle series contributor) Outasight excels on the guest tip, contributing his uniquely reedy sung vocals on the hook and outro as well as updating us on his major-label grind on the middle verse. So, readers, are you digging this more laid-back side of the artist’s style? Whatever your take on the matter, you won’t want to miss the eclectically fresh new material Chris is set to showcase on his FAUST LP, due out August 24.
Written by richard on 07/27/10
Submit your Rating
Yatta Mayjour Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Book of Faust" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.