First impressions are important, but they can also be very deceiving – and that goes double when the individual being sized up is as versatile as Chris Faust. In stark contrast to the Brooklyn hopeful’s Booth debut, the darkly experimental Book of Faust, newly-leaked mixtape cut Looking Back is positively… chill. Producer Ibe‘s lightly jazzy, piano-led beat makes for ideal vibe-out material, and Faust comes with fittingly mellow, introspective rhymes on the topics of progress and regret; he even kicks the cut off with a lyrical homage to Kanye‘s iconic Late Registration opener, Heard ‘Em Say. Unsurprisingly, longtime reader fave (and exclusive freestyle series contributor) Outasight excels on the guest tip, contributing his uniquely reedy sung vocals on the hook and outro as well as updating us on his major-label grind on the middle verse. So, readers, are you digging this more laid-back side of the artist’s style? Whatever your take on the matter, you won’t want to miss the eclectically fresh new material Chris is set to showcase on his FAUST LP, due out August 24.
Yatta Mayjour Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Book of Faust" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.