If you think about it, every rap record is a kind of Inception, in which ear-pleasing beats and smooth flows provide the distraction a rhymesayer needs in order to implant his or her ideas directly in the depths of the listener’s psyche. On Chris Faust‘s latest “FreeLP” leak, the Brooklyn up-and-comer takes that analogy and runs with it, telling a story of romance and danger set within a dream (within a dream, within a dream…) Diamond District rapper/producer Oddisee sets the mood for an oneiric odyssey on the production tip, layering lush, hazy samples over a boom-bap percussion rhythm as the headliner describes his efforts to reach a certain woman’s heart through her unconscious. Accomplice to the headliner’s daring scheme, soul singer Mike Maven ties the record together with a gentle guest chorus. Though the narrative takes about as many twists and turns as the film which inspired it, the end product is sure to leave audiences raving. For more, check out Chris Faust’s latest album, VILLAIN, when it hits the DJBooth on April 2, for free download. In the meantime, the artist’s 2011 self-titled set is still available for streaming and download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 03/11/12
Submit your Rating
Yatta Mayjour Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Book of Faust" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.