In a German legend famously reinterpreted in plays by Christopher Marlowe and Goethe, a man named Faust makes a pact with the devil in order to satisfy his hunger for earthly knowledge. Now, I’m definitely not implying that Booth newcomer Christopher Faust got his rapping skills from the main downstairs, I’m just saying there’s underground hip-hop and then there’s underground hip-hop. In any case, the Brooklynite seems to be making the most of the spooky literary allusion, as evidenced by newly-leaked cut The Book of Faust. Backed by the ominous, cinematic boardwork of Atticus Ross, CF stares into the figurative abyss, preparing to throw caution to the wind in pursuit of his musical ambitions, “I’m on the edge, no looking back… your bed’s made, leave your old life on the tracks.” As if Faust’s dark lyrical vision wasn’t unconventional enough, the artist forgoes the traditional hook in favor of an eerie sung outro featuring guest vocals by Cocoa Sarai. Intrigued by this up-and-comer’s left-of-center style? Grab a copy of his latest project, the half-self-titled FAUST, when it drops April 12.
Written by richard on 02/8/10
Submit your Rating
Yatta Mayjour Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mind Over Matter" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.