This weekend, my girl Erykah Badu (@fatbellybella) went on a Twitter diatribe about r&b and hip-hop artists “standing by and letting the music turn into this pop techno cornball music.” While I’ve shared this sentiment for a while, I did feel like things were improving. I must say, however, that when I heard Chris Brown’s new single, Yeah 3X, I had the urge to walk bucked-naked through Dealey Plaza in protest alongside my sista. Don’t misunderstand, the track isn’t bad technically speaking. Brown’s voice soars over the DJ Frank E-produced synth heavy track, and it definitely has the pop appeal to welcome him back into mainstream America’s speakers, but come on. Didn’t Usher, Jason Derulo, Kelly Rowland and everyone who’s worked with David Guetta just release some slight variation of this song? I get it, it’s the hot style of the moment, but I just need a break. Then again, it’s all a matter of taste, so let me have it if you think this is the best thing since the strobe light. You can already tell Brown’s unscheduled new album F.A.M.E. (Forgiving All My Enemies) will be controversial. Let the debate begin.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 10/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wall To Wall" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.