This weekend, my girl Erykah Badu (@fatbellybella) went on a Twitter diatribe about r&b and hip-hop artists “standing by and letting the music turn into this pop techno cornball music.” While I’ve shared this sentiment for a while, I did feel like things were improving. I must say, however, that when I heard Chris Brown’s new single, Yeah 3X, I had the urge to walk bucked-naked through Dealey Plaza in protest alongside my sista. Don’t misunderstand, the track isn’t bad technically speaking. Brown’s voice soars over the DJ Frank E-produced synth heavy track, and it definitely has the pop appeal to welcome him back into mainstream America’s speakers, but come on. Didn’t Usher, Jason Derulo, Kelly Rowland and everyone who’s worked with David Guetta just release some slight variation of this song? I get it, it’s the hot style of the moment, but I just need a break. Then again, it’s all a matter of taste, so let me have it if you think this is the best thing since the strobe light. You can already tell Brown’s unscheduled new album F.A.M.E. (Forgiving All My Enemies) will be controversial. Let the debate begin.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 10/18/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wall To Wall" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.