This weekend, my girl Erykah Badu (@fatbellybella) went on a Twitter diatribe about r&b and hip-hop artists “standing by and letting the music turn into this pop techno cornball music.” While I’ve shared this sentiment for a while, I did feel like things were improving. I must say, however, that when I heard Chris Brown’s new single, Yeah 3X, I had the urge to walk bucked-naked through Dealey Plaza in protest alongside my sista. Don’t misunderstand, the track isn’t bad technically speaking. Brown’s voice soars over the DJ Frank E-produced synth heavy track, and it definitely has the pop appeal to welcome him back into mainstream America’s speakers, but come on. Didn’t Usher, Jason Derulo, Kelly Rowland and everyone who’s worked with David Guetta just release some slight variation of this song? I get it, it’s the hot style of the moment, but I just need a break. Then again, it’s all a matter of taste, so let me have it if you think this is the best thing since the strobe light. You can already tell Brown’s unscheduled new album F.A.M.E. (Forgiving All My Enemies) will be controversial. Let the debate begin.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 10/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wall To Wall" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.