This weekend, my girl Erykah Badu (@fatbellybella) went on a Twitter diatribe about r&b and hip-hop artists “standing by and letting the music turn into this pop techno cornball music.” While I’ve shared this sentiment for a while, I did feel like things were improving. I must say, however, that when I heard Chris Brown’s new single, Yeah 3X, I had the urge to walk bucked-naked through Dealey Plaza in protest alongside my sista. Don’t misunderstand, the track isn’t bad technically speaking. Brown’s voice soars over the DJ Frank E-produced synth heavy track, and it definitely has the pop appeal to welcome him back into mainstream America’s speakers, but come on. Didn’t Usher, Jason Derulo, Kelly Rowland and everyone who’s worked with David Guetta just release some slight variation of this song? I get it, it’s the hot style of the moment, but I just need a break. Then again, it’s all a matter of taste, so let me have it if you think this is the best thing since the strobe light. You can already tell Brown’s unscheduled new album F.A.M.E. (Forgiving All My Enemies) will be controversial. Let the debate begin.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wall To Wall" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.