Is Chris Brown a rapper who sings? A singer who raps? Or perhaps a ringer who sangs? Breezy’s been on an obvious campaign to blur the lines between his R&B and hip-hop for well over a year now and new single Til I Die is some of the most powerful proof of his genre blending yet. Following previous releases Sweet Love and F**k the City Up, producer Danja pulls out nearly every trick in the beat-making book for Die’s instrumentals, incorporating EDM-esque synths with marching band percussion and soulful guitar lines. It’s an eclectic template that the headliner kicks off with a more-rapping-than-singing verse complete with Sarah Palin punchlines, efforts followed closely by yet another comedic verse from Big Sean and slightly more aggressive than usual 16 from Wiz Khalifa (I thought marijuana was supposed to make you less angry?). R&B with rap verses, straight hip-hop, call it what you will, just make sure you call it the latest from Brown’s upcoming Fortune album, due out May 4.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/10/12
History has provided us with a long list of shocking moments: David the lowly shepherd manages to take down the mighty Goliath, JFK is assassinated on a calm Texas day, T-Pain starts singing without Auto-Tune. These are all...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wall To Wall" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.