While Chris Brown‘s recent flirtations with rap have garnered him largely positive reviews in the Booth, readers weren’t quite so kind in mid-March, when the artist returned to his usual lane with the smooth, sensual F*ck the City Up. With his fifth studio album due out in little more than a month, can he recapture fans’ hearts and eardrums in time to make the set a blockbuster? Today, Breezy makes his latest play for radio success with new single Sweet Love, another jam which—if the title didn’t tip you off—finds the artist rocking his R&B/pop hat. In a few words, this record is pure ear-candy; Polow Da Don turns in a beat that’s almost overwhelming in its bubblegum-pop appeal, layering iridescent synth swirls over reverb-drenched handclaps and warm bass tones as Brown states his intention to give a certain shawty the night of her life. With an attention-grabbing sound and sexually-charged subject matter, this dreamy bedroom burner seems to have the makings of a hit—but, as always, I’ll let readers have the final say. Fans can expect one more single, a hip-hop informed effort titled Til I Die, between now and May 4, when Fortune is set to hit record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 05/25/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wall To Wall" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.