It’s almost impossible to listen to a Chip Tha Ripper track and not be immediately reminded of Kid Cudi. Chip’s deep voice aside, both have their own unique sound, both rap about clothes, weed and girls, and, perhaps not coincidentally, both are from the city of Cleveland. Further proof of Chip’s Cudiness (or vice-versa) can be found on his new track, Fat Raps, featuring Curren$y & Big Sean. Similar to his last mixtape leak Movie, Fat Raps combines a slow moving, mechanical and almost trippy beat from Chuck Inglish (of The Cool Kids fame) with Chip’s smooth, always witty lyrics. Unfortunately, Curren$y and Big Sean don’t bring much to the lyrical table, although the latter’s “New York to L.A. I beat the sunset,” is one of the track’s best lines. Regardless of guest features, Fat Raps shows why Cleveland might just be the new spot to watch for quality hip-hop. Fat Raps is the third leak off The Cleveland Show mixtape, due to hit your speakers in December.
Written by matt juss on 11/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)