It’s almost impossible to listen to a Chip Tha Ripper track and not be immediately reminded of Kid Cudi. Chip’s deep voice aside, both have their own unique sound, both rap about clothes, weed and girls, and, perhaps not coincidentally, both are from the city of Cleveland. Further proof of Chip’s Cudiness (or vice-versa) can be found on his new track, Fat Raps, featuring Curren$y & Big Sean. Similar to his last mixtape leak Movie, Fat Raps combines a slow moving, mechanical and almost trippy beat from Chuck Inglish (of The Cool Kids fame) with Chip’s smooth, always witty lyrics. Unfortunately, Curren$y and Big Sean don’t bring much to the lyrical table, although the latter’s “New York to L.A. I beat the sunset,” is one of the track’s best lines. Regardless of guest features, Fat Raps shows why Cleveland might just be the new spot to watch for quality hip-hop. Fat Raps is the third leak off The Cleveland Show mixtape, due to hit your speakers in December.
Written by matt juss on 11/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.