When you haven’t been featured on the solo tip for a whopping three years, it takes a proportionately grand re-entrance to turn Boothgoers back into avid followers of your work. Fortunately for Chino XL, who we last heard from way back in 2009, new single Eye (The Stomp) is epic in the fullest sense of the word. Backed by the thumping, tension-fraught production of House Shoes, this joint comes packed with all the intricate rhyme schemes and brainy wordplay fans have come to know and love. This time, however, the lyrical fireworks come with a poignant subtext: the record is a dedication to late hip-hop greats J. Dilla and Proof, close friends of both Chino and House Shoes. Does this cut having you “[thanking] God that hip-hop exists”? Then you’ll find many more reasons to be grateful on RICANstruction (The Black Rosary), due out September 25, via Viper Records.
Written by richard on 09/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Your Heart ft. Bun B" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)