When you haven’t been featured on the solo tip for a whopping three years, it takes a proportionately grand re-entrance to turn Boothgoers back into avid followers of your work. Fortunately for Chino XL, who we last heard from way back in 2009, new single Eye (The Stomp) is epic in the fullest sense of the word. Backed by the thumping, tension-fraught production of House Shoes, this joint comes packed with all the intricate rhyme schemes and brainy wordplay fans have come to know and love. This time, however, the lyrical fireworks come with a poignant subtext: the record is a dedication to late hip-hop greats J. Dilla and Proof, close friends of both Chino and House Shoes. Does this cut having you “[thanking] God that hip-hop exists”? Then you’ll find many more reasons to be grateful on RICANstruction (The Black Rosary), due out September 25, via Viper Records.
Written by richard on 09/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Your Heart ft. Bun B" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.