Next to Drake, Childish Gambino is the best-known TV star to break into the hip-hop game, but Yaphet Kotto beat both of ‘em to the punch by a long margin. Known for playing Lieutenant Al Giardello on Homicide: Life on the Street, as well as for his numerous film roles, the famous actor is also a music producer signed to Young L‘s Legendary Inc. label. On his brand new freestyle of the same name, Donald Glover uses Kotto as a springboard to discuss the unusual course of his own career. Over a Stefan Ponce beat incorporating elements from Manchild’s One Tender Moment, the Glassnote Records signee delivers introspective verses with a caustic, self-lacerating edge. Gambino’s next LP, Because the Internet, is scheduled for independent release this winter. In the meantime, those who haven’t already are encouraged to check out the rapper’s recent guest contribution to Jhené Aiko‘s Bed Peace.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.