Next to Drake, Childish Gambino is the best-known TV star to break into the hip-hop game, but Yaphet Kotto beat both of ‘em to the punch by a long margin. Known for playing Lieutenant Al Giardello on Homicide: Life on the Street, as well as for his numerous film roles, the famous actor is also a music producer signed to Young L‘s Legendary Inc. label. On his brand new freestyle of the same name, Donald Glover uses Kotto as a springboard to discuss the unusual course of his own career. Over a Stefan Ponce beat incorporating elements from Manchild’s One Tender Moment, the Glassnote Records signee delivers introspective verses with a caustic, self-lacerating edge. Gambino’s next LP, Because the Internet, is scheduled for independent release this winter. In the meantime, those who haven’t already are encouraged to check out the rapper’s recent guest contribution to Jhené Aiko‘s Bed Peace.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.