Next to Drake, Childish Gambino is the best-known TV star to break into the hip-hop game, but Yaphet Kotto beat both of ‘em to the punch by a long margin. Known for playing Lieutenant Al Giardello on Homicide: Life on the Street, as well as for his numerous film roles, the famous actor is also a music producer signed to Young L‘s Legendary Inc. label. On his brand new freestyle of the same name, Donald Glover uses Kotto as a springboard to discuss the unusual course of his own career. Over a Stefan Ponce beat incorporating elements from Manchild’s One Tender Moment, the Glassnote Records signee delivers introspective verses with a caustic, self-lacerating edge. Gambino’s next LP, Because the Internet, is scheduled for independent release this winter. In the meantime, those who haven’t already are encouraged to check out the rapper’s recent guest contribution to Jhené Aiko‘s Bed Peace.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.