Next to Drake, Childish Gambino is the best-known TV star to break into the hip-hop game, but Yaphet Kotto beat both of ‘em to the punch by a long margin. Known for playing Lieutenant Al Giardello on Homicide: Life on the Street, as well as for his numerous film roles, the famous actor is also a music producer signed to Young L‘s Legendary Inc. label. On his brand new freestyle of the same name, Donald Glover uses Kotto as a springboard to discuss the unusual course of his own career. Over a Stefan Ponce beat incorporating elements from Manchild’s One Tender Moment, the Glassnote Records signee delivers introspective verses with a caustic, self-lacerating edge. Gambino’s next LP, Because the Internet, is scheduled for independent release this winter. In the meantime, those who haven’t already are encouraged to check out the rapper’s recent guest contribution to Jhené Aiko‘s Bed Peace.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.