In the digital age it’s hard to say you’re still shocked by a collaboration. 2 Chainz was just on a track with Justin Bieber, and indie rockers routinely link up with rappers for genre-bending new music. But, honestly, I still did a double take when I saw that Childish Gambino’s new release, Silk Pillow, features…Beck. Wow, can’t say I saw that one coming. And lest you think Gambino only teamed up with Beck for the shock factor, the two also co-produced Silk Pillow, crafting an instrumental that fluctuates wildly from verse to chorus, going from slowly relaxed piano line to distorted electronica in second. Vocally Beck brings back some of that free-association, quasi-rap we first heard way back on Loser, while Gambino offers up yet more of the personal and pop culture reference heavy rhymes he’s made his name on. I’d have to imagine Silk Pillow is the most musically adventurous track off Gambino’s upcoming mixtape, Royalty, but after today anything’s apparently possible in Mr. Gambino’s world. I guess we’ll all just have to stay tuned.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.