In the digital age it’s hard to say you’re still shocked by a collaboration. 2 Chainz was just on a track with Justin Bieber, and indie rockers routinely link up with rappers for genre-bending new music. But, honestly, I still did a double take when I saw that Childish Gambino’s new release, Silk Pillow, features…Beck. Wow, can’t say I saw that one coming. And lest you think Gambino only teamed up with Beck for the shock factor, the two also co-produced Silk Pillow, crafting an instrumental that fluctuates wildly from verse to chorus, going from slowly relaxed piano line to distorted electronica in second. Vocally Beck brings back some of that free-association, quasi-rap we first heard way back on Loser, while Gambino offers up yet more of the personal and pop culture reference heavy rhymes he’s made his name on. I’d have to imagine Silk Pillow is the most musically adventurous track off Gambino’s upcoming mixtape, Royalty, but after today anything’s apparently possible in Mr. Gambino’s world. I guess we’ll all just have to stay tuned.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.