In the digital age it’s hard to say you’re still shocked by a collaboration. 2 Chainz was just on a track with Justin Bieber, and indie rockers routinely link up with rappers for genre-bending new music. But, honestly, I still did a double take when I saw that Childish Gambino’s new release, Silk Pillow, features…Beck. Wow, can’t say I saw that one coming. And lest you think Gambino only teamed up with Beck for the shock factor, the two also co-produced Silk Pillow, crafting an instrumental that fluctuates wildly from verse to chorus, going from slowly relaxed piano line to distorted electronica in second. Vocally Beck brings back some of that free-association, quasi-rap we first heard way back on Loser, while Gambino offers up yet more of the personal and pop culture reference heavy rhymes he’s made his name on. I’d have to imagine Silk Pillow is the most musically adventurous track off Gambino’s upcoming mixtape, Royalty, but after today anything’s apparently possible in Mr. Gambino’s world. I guess we’ll all just have to stay tuned.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)