In the digital age it’s hard to say you’re still shocked by a collaboration. 2 Chainz was just on a track with Justin Bieber, and indie rockers routinely link up with rappers for genre-bending new music. But, honestly, I still did a double take when I saw that Childish Gambino’s new release, Silk Pillow, features…Beck. Wow, can’t say I saw that one coming. And lest you think Gambino only teamed up with Beck for the shock factor, the two also co-produced Silk Pillow, crafting an instrumental that fluctuates wildly from verse to chorus, going from slowly relaxed piano line to distorted electronica in second. Vocally Beck brings back some of that free-association, quasi-rap we first heard way back on Loser, while Gambino offers up yet more of the personal and pop culture reference heavy rhymes he’s made his name on. I’d have to imagine Silk Pillow is the most musically adventurous track off Gambino’s upcoming mixtape, Royalty, but after today anything’s apparently possible in Mr. Gambino’s world. I guess we’ll all just have to stay tuned.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)