Not so long ago, a rapper softly singing his own hooks would have been considered ridiculous. Now, even Eminem is belting out emotional ballads. Though Stronger Than I Was made me wonder whether the pendulum had swung just a little too far, Childish Gambino‘s Melrose has brought me back to my former, mostly-positive opinion of the rapper-turned-singer trend. Released yesterday evening in a mysterious Tweet addressed to Bed Peace collaborator Jhené Aiko, this melancholy, Stefan Ponce-produced cut finds Glover crooning the plaintive line, “Someone gave you all my love, all my love,” in between long, piano-driven instrumental stretches. For this haunting cut, last month’s 3005 and much more, cop new album Because the Internet when it drops on Tuesday, December 10.
Written by richard on 11/7/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.