Not so long ago, a rapper softly singing his own hooks would have been considered ridiculous. Now, even Eminem is belting out emotional ballads. Though Stronger Than I Was made me wonder whether the pendulum had swung just a little too far, Childish Gambino‘s Melrose has brought me back to my former, mostly-positive opinion of the rapper-turned-singer trend. Released yesterday evening in a mysterious Tweet addressed to Bed Peace collaborator Jhené Aiko, this melancholy, Stefan Ponce-produced cut finds Glover crooning the plaintive line, “Someone gave you all my love, all my love,” in between long, piano-driven instrumental stretches. For this haunting cut, last month’s 3005 and much more, cop new album Because the Internet when it drops on Tuesday, December 10.
Written by richard on 11/7/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.