Not so long ago, a rapper softly singing his own hooks would have been considered ridiculous. Now, even Eminem is belting out emotional ballads. Though Stronger Than I Was made me wonder whether the pendulum had swung just a little too far, Childish Gambino‘s Melrose has brought me back to my former, mostly-positive opinion of the rapper-turned-singer trend. Released yesterday evening in a mysterious Tweet addressed to Bed Peace collaborator Jhené Aiko, this melancholy, Stefan Ponce-produced cut finds Glover crooning the plaintive line, “Someone gave you all my love, all my love,” in between long, piano-driven instrumental stretches. For this haunting cut, last month’s 3005 and much more, cop new album Because the Internet when it drops on Tuesday, December 10.
Written by richard on 11/7/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.