Not so long ago, a rapper softly singing his own hooks would have been considered ridiculous. Now, even Eminem is belting out emotional ballads. Though Stronger Than I Was made me wonder whether the pendulum had swung just a little too far, Childish Gambino‘s Melrose has brought me back to my former, mostly-positive opinion of the rapper-turned-singer trend. Released yesterday evening in a mysterious Tweet addressed to Bed Peace collaborator Jhené Aiko, this melancholy, Stefan Ponce-produced cut finds Glover crooning the plaintive line, “Someone gave you all my love, all my love,” in between long, piano-driven instrumental stretches. For this haunting cut, last month’s 3005 and much more, cop new album Because the Internet when it drops on Tuesday, December 10.
Written by richard on 11/7/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)