Why Eat Your Vegetables before dessert when you can enjoy both at once? The hip-hop equivalent of carrot cake, Childish Gambino has mastered the art of combining lyrical nourishment with instantly-gratifying punchlines and pop hooks. The Community star-turned-buzzmaking emcee’s latest promo single leans more toward the “dessert” side of the equation, but students of rap will find plenty of food for thought in this witty, braggadocious banger. Chemist handles production duties, serving up a hazy, sampled beat as Donald Glover attacks the mic with characteristic panache. As usual, he comes hard and fast with the wisecracks, ranging from the commonplace (Runnin’ through my paper like a pep rally.”) to the controversy-courting (“Man I die for my ‘hood—Trayvon!”). The arguable highlight, however, comes when Gambino puts his verse on hold for a conversational tangent on the enduring appeal of fat jokes, and transitions back into his flow without skipping a beat. Has this fly, free-associative jam whet your appetite for more? Then keep it locked—while Vegetables isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, Childish Gambino is currently hard at work on a new, self-titled mixtape.
Written by richard on 04/2/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.