Why Eat Your Vegetables before dessert when you can enjoy both at once? The hip-hop equivalent of carrot cake, Childish Gambino has mastered the art of combining lyrical nourishment with instantly-gratifying punchlines and pop hooks. The Community star-turned-buzzmaking emcee’s latest promo single leans more toward the “dessert” side of the equation, but students of rap will find plenty of food for thought in this witty, braggadocious banger. Chemist handles production duties, serving up a hazy, sampled beat as Donald Glover attacks the mic with characteristic panache. As usual, he comes hard and fast with the wisecracks, ranging from the commonplace (Runnin’ through my paper like a pep rally.”) to the controversy-courting (“Man I die for my ‘hood—Trayvon!”). The arguable highlight, however, comes when Gambino puts his verse on hold for a conversational tangent on the enduring appeal of fat jokes, and transitions back into his flow without skipping a beat. Has this fly, free-associative jam whet your appetite for more? Then keep it locked—while Vegetables isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, Childish Gambino is currently hard at work on a new, self-titled mixtape.
Written by richard on 04/2/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.