Why Eat Your Vegetables before dessert when you can enjoy both at once? The hip-hop equivalent of carrot cake, Childish Gambino has mastered the art of combining lyrical nourishment with instantly-gratifying punchlines and pop hooks. The Community star-turned-buzzmaking emcee’s latest promo single leans more toward the “dessert” side of the equation, but students of rap will find plenty of food for thought in this witty, braggadocious banger. Chemist handles production duties, serving up a hazy, sampled beat as Donald Glover attacks the mic with characteristic panache. As usual, he comes hard and fast with the wisecracks, ranging from the commonplace (Runnin’ through my paper like a pep rally.”) to the controversy-courting (“Man I die for my ‘hood—Trayvon!”). The arguable highlight, however, comes when Gambino puts his verse on hold for a conversational tangent on the enduring appeal of fat jokes, and transitions back into his flow without skipping a beat. Has this fly, free-associative jam whet your appetite for more? Then keep it locked—while Vegetables isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, Childish Gambino is currently hard at work on a new, self-titled mixtape.
Written by richard on 04/2/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.