On his latest feature Break (AOTL) off of brand new EP IAMDONALD, Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from NBC sitcom Community) spits a never-ending freeverse over his own energetic spin on Kanye’s All of The Lights. What the actor/rapper has to offer may startle you. Over Ye’s sample and an acoustic guitar loop, the high-voiced emcee tackles Break with J. Cole-like hunger, venturing into lyrical territory that most rappers today would never dream of going: “Can I live up to all this hype they have for me, it’s hard to tell / But these girls I’m kissin‘ chase the blues away like Gargamel.” For those of you out there scratching your head, that is a (perhaps rap’s first) Smurf reference, which is kind of like dropping a Biggie reference in a Taylor Swift song. Some question Gambino’s tendency to be “all over the place” in his rhymes, but no hip-hop head can debate his gift for words and witticisms. Yes, witticisms. If you are as dumbfounded by Glover’s originality as I am, stay tuned. We might have a pioneer on our hands.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.