On his latest feature Break (AOTL) off of brand new EP IAMDONALD, Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from NBC sitcom Community) spits a never-ending freeverse over his own energetic spin on Kanye’s All of The Lights. What the actor/rapper has to offer may startle you. Over Ye’s sample and an acoustic guitar loop, the high-voiced emcee tackles Break with J. Cole-like hunger, venturing into lyrical territory that most rappers today would never dream of going: “Can I live up to all this hype they have for me, it’s hard to tell / But these girls I’m kissin‘ chase the blues away like Gargamel.” For those of you out there scratching your head, that is a (perhaps rap’s first) Smurf reference, which is kind of like dropping a Biggie reference in a Taylor Swift song. Some question Gambino’s tendency to be “all over the place” in his rhymes, but no hip-hop head can debate his gift for words and witticisms. Yes, witticisms. If you are as dumbfounded by Glover’s originality as I am, stay tuned. We might have a pioneer on our hands.
Written by CourtlandHH on 04/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.