On his latest feature Break (AOTL) off of brand new EP IAMDONALD, Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from NBC sitcom Community) spits a never-ending freeverse over his own energetic spin on Kanye’s All of The Lights. What the actor/rapper has to offer may startle you. Over Ye’s sample and an acoustic guitar loop, the high-voiced emcee tackles Break with J. Cole-like hunger, venturing into lyrical territory that most rappers today would never dream of going: “Can I live up to all this hype they have for me, it’s hard to tell / But these girls I’m kissin‘ chase the blues away like Gargamel.” For those of you out there scratching your head, that is a (perhaps rap’s first) Smurf reference, which is kind of like dropping a Biggie reference in a Taylor Swift song. Some question Gambino’s tendency to be “all over the place” in his rhymes, but no hip-hop head can debate his gift for words and witticisms. Yes, witticisms. If you are as dumbfounded by Glover’s originality as I am, stay tuned. We might have a pioneer on our hands.
Written by CourtlandHH on 04/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.