On his latest feature Break (AOTL) off of brand new EP IAMDONALD, Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover from NBC sitcom Community) spits a never-ending freeverse over his own energetic spin on Kanye’s All of The Lights. What the actor/rapper has to offer may startle you. Over Ye’s sample and an acoustic guitar loop, the high-voiced emcee tackles Break with J. Cole-like hunger, venturing into lyrical territory that most rappers today would never dream of going: “Can I live up to all this hype they have for me, it’s hard to tell / But these girls I’m kissin‘ chase the blues away like Gargamel.” For those of you out there scratching your head, that is a (perhaps rap’s first) Smurf reference, which is kind of like dropping a Biggie reference in a Taylor Swift song. Some question Gambino’s tendency to be “all over the place” in his rhymes, but no hip-hop head can debate his gift for words and witticisms. Yes, witticisms. If you are as dumbfounded by Glover’s originality as I am, stay tuned. We might have a pioneer on our hands.
Written by CourtlandHH on 04/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.