In just a few shorts months Childish Gambino (gov’t name Donald Glover) has gone from “did you know that guy on Community raps?” to “Yo, that dude on Community can rap!” to “Childish Gambino is a rapper.” While his transition from respected, comedically oriented actor to respected, comedically oriented rapper (aka the reverse Will Smith) is far from complete today Gambino takes a big step in the form of album single Bonfire. Like his breakout hit Freaks & Geeks, Bonfire leans heavily on a closely looped, explosive, self-produced beat that thankfully cuts off the sirens after the intro. Lyrically the cut burns with the punchline heavy, pop-culture flow that’s quickly becoming his trademark; it’s not every emcee that can reference Invader Zim, throw in a Drake semi-diss and drop a line like “Gambino is a call girl / f**k you, pay me,” in the same song. So what’s the verdict DJBooth Nation? Is Gambino earning enough of your respect to earn of purchase of his debut album CAMP, due out via Glassnote Records on November 15? We’ll find out soon in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)