In just a few shorts months Childish Gambino (gov’t name Donald Glover) has gone from “did you know that guy on Community raps?” to “Yo, that dude on Community can rap!” to “Childish Gambino is a rapper.” While his transition from respected, comedically oriented actor to respected, comedically oriented rapper (aka the reverse Will Smith) is far from complete today Gambino takes a big step in the form of album single Bonfire. Like his breakout hit Freaks & Geeks, Bonfire leans heavily on a closely looped, explosive, self-produced beat that thankfully cuts off the sirens after the intro. Lyrically the cut burns with the punchline heavy, pop-culture flow that’s quickly becoming his trademark; it’s not every emcee that can reference Invader Zim, throw in a Drake semi-diss and drop a line like “Gambino is a call girl / f**k you, pay me,” in the same song. So what’s the verdict DJBooth Nation? Is Gambino earning enough of your respect to earn of purchase of his debut album CAMP, due out via Glassnote Records on November 15? We’ll find out soon in the comments below.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.