Is Donald Glover serious? Thus far, the Community star-turned-buzzmaking emcee’s musical output has been so fresh, witty and unhinged that the question has faded into the background. In case anyone’s still wondering, though, new single All the Shine should lay all doubts to rest: Childish Gambino is for real, even—nay, especially—when he’s spitting about “stupid sh*t.” After all, “sometimes that stupid sh*t is real sh*t.” Over his own plodding percussion and cinematic string/brass arrangement (complete with an impressive vocal hook by Gambino himself), the emcee challenges the stereotypical divide between lyricism and foolishness, revealing the genuine feeling that fuels his waggish persona. On the back, he wonders, “Is there room in the game for a lame who rhymes, who wears short shorts and makes jokes sometimes?” What do you think, Booth readers—is there? Those who answer in the affirmative should be sure to give C.G. his proper shine in the comment section below, in addition to picking up a copy of debut LP Camp when it hits record stores and online retailers November 15.
Written by richard on 10/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)