Is Donald Glover serious? Thus far, the Community star-turned-buzzmaking emcee’s musical output has been so fresh, witty and unhinged that the question has faded into the background. In case anyone’s still wondering, though, new single All the Shine should lay all doubts to rest: Childish Gambino is for real, even—nay, especially—when he’s spitting about “stupid sh*t.” After all, “sometimes that stupid sh*t is real sh*t.” Over his own plodding percussion and cinematic string/brass arrangement (complete with an impressive vocal hook by Gambino himself), the emcee challenges the stereotypical divide between lyricism and foolishness, revealing the genuine feeling that fuels his waggish persona. On the back, he wonders, “Is there room in the game for a lame who rhymes, who wears short shorts and makes jokes sometimes?” What do you think, Booth readers—is there? Those who answer in the affirmative should be sure to give C.G. his proper shine in the comment section below, in addition to picking up a copy of debut LP Camp when it hits record stores and online retailers November 15.
Written by richard on 10/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break (AOTL)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.