Could it be—could Chiddy Bang simply have Too Much Soul for today’s music game? I’m leaning towards “no,” if only for the fact that they don’t make soul music in any sense of the term I’m familiar with. Nonetheless, the Philly emcee-producer duo most definitely possess a certain je ne sais quoi that makes them, and their work hard to pin down within pre-established categories. That special something is on full display on this mixtape standout and potential single selection, which finds Xaphoon Jones once again flipping an indie record into hip-pop gold; over an electro-informed groove adapted from Hockey’s Too Fake (complete with Chipmunked hook), Chiddy busts out some of his most explosive flows to date as he illuminates the plight of “real” individuals in an industry crowded with posers. Though he admits that constant contact with phonies (no Holden Caulfield) can be aggravating, that clearly hasn’t dulled the duo’s resolve to conquer the game. Think this ambitious cut is hit material? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, drop whatever you’re doing and cop Chiddy Bang Peanut Butter & Swelly LP, released May 27, and available now online.
Written by richard on 06/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Opposite of Adults (KIDS)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.