Could it be—could Chiddy Bang simply have Too Much Soul for today’s music game? I’m leaning towards “no,” if only for the fact that they don’t make soul music in any sense of the term I’m familiar with. Nonetheless, the Philly emcee-producer duo most definitely possess a certain je ne sais quoi that makes them, and their work hard to pin down within pre-established categories. That special something is on full display on this mixtape standout and potential single selection, which finds Xaphoon Jones once again flipping an indie record into hip-pop gold; over an electro-informed groove adapted from Hockey’s Too Fake (complete with Chipmunked hook), Chiddy busts out some of his most explosive flows to date as he illuminates the plight of “real” individuals in an industry crowded with posers. Though he admits that constant contact with phonies (no Holden Caulfield) can be aggravating, that clearly hasn’t dulled the duo’s resolve to conquer the game. Think this ambitious cut is hit material? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, drop whatever you’re doing and cop Chiddy Bang Peanut Butter & Swelly LP, released May 27, and available now online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Opposite of Adults (KIDS)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.