In addition to, y’know, revolutionizing the soul genre, Ray Charles has enjoyed a second burst of fame as shorthand for a certain method of dealing with the haters—simply slip on your shades, sit back and act like you don’t see a damn thing. (see also Weezy‘s immortal She Will chorus: “I’m Ray Charles to the bullsh*t, now get up on that d*ck and do a full split”). On the lead single off their debut album, Chiddy Bang depart from the usual, electro-influenced style to pay tribute to the musical legend’s pioneering sound as well as his uncanny knock for blocking out the bullsh*t. Producer Xaphoon Jones crafts the most soulful beat I’ve heard since Kanye‘s instrumental on Otis, layering swaggering piano chords and jazzy sax riffs over a rolling breakbeat as Chiddy emphasizes just how little mind he pays to his critics: “I got my shades on, I don’t know where they are / you couldn’t find me even if you had a radar / and I spit rapidly, AK, AR.” Complete with some fresh, uncredited female backing vocals, this should be just the thing to get listeners amped for the crew’s Virgin Records debut; watch for Breakfast to arrive on store shelves Feb. 28, 2012.
Written by richard on 11/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Opposite of Adults (KIDS)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.