Once upon a time, we were all The Opposite of Adults – Booth newcomers Chiddy Bang and Xaphoon Jones still consider themselves KIDS and, to paraphrase that classic Toys ‘R’ Us jingle, they don’t wanna grow up anytime soon. Peter Pan syndrome or not, this Philly-based duo plan to parlay their musical talents into some grown-up cash, as they explain on this standout track off their just-released Swelly Express mixtape. Here, beatsmith Xaphoon chops a synth-driven sample from Kids, a track off Pursuit of Happiness indie-rockers’ MGMT‘s Oracular Spectacular LP, into a head-nodding backdrop for emcee Chiddy’s enthusiastically-flowed meditations on big money, fast living and eternal youth. With this kind of energy, it’s no surprise that Chiddy Bang have already sparked considerable industry attention. Whether you’re a kid, young at heart, or you simply enjoy left-of-center bangers, you’re sure to find more to your liking on The Swelly Express, released October 29, and available for free download here.
Written by richard on 11/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stylo (Chiddy Bang Remix)" (2010)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.