If you’re reading this right when it drops that means the moon’s out and dinner’s still digesting away in your stomach – but come on people, it’s got to be breakfast time somewhere. So in the spirit of eternal breakfast, we might as well all Grab a Plate and get to work. The title track off Chiddy Bang’s upcoming mixtape, which is itself a pre-cursor to their Breakfast album, Grab a Plate find group producer Xaphoon reaching back into his sonic book of tricks to flip an undoubtedly obscure sample into a slowly head-burning, guaranteed head-nodding beat custom made for his partner in rhyme Chiddy. Speaking of which, the group’s resident mic-rocker lays down a largely narrative flow that details his rise to rap prominence, stopping only long enough to throw down yet more pop-culture heavy rhymes: “Super hero you can catch me in the radius / I’m Peter Parker and they Dr. Octavius.” With Chiddy Bang cooking up music this delicious we have no choice but to Grab a Plate, cop the crew’s mixtape, and then return for seconds when Breakfast drops digitally on February 21, followed by the physical release on February 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/19/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Opposite of Adults (KIDS)" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.