The warm-weather jams have been rolling in, but my hometown (Minne-ap, for those who haven’t been keeping score) has been taking its sweet time inching towards the required temperature for comfortable outdoor recreation. Though Pittsburgh’s at a modest 46° itself, that hasn’t stopped Taylor Gang member Chevy Woods from stepping into the Booth to add another summer jam to the pile. On new single and EP title cut The Cookout, the up-and-comer departs from the gritty gangsterisms of Straight Ballin’ to spark up a doobie or two with fellow Steel City spitter Wiz Khalifa. ID Labs’ breezy, West Coast-informed productions sets the perfect mood for a barbecue as the collaborators get baked, enjoying some quality cannabis (not to mention a little gin and juice) in the company of some fine females. Though the twosome’s rhymes hit precisely the notes that you’d expect, their blunted charisma is what makes this summery smokers’ anthem shine. Or have I got it twisted? If you like what you’re hearing, keep it locked for all the latest leading up to the as-yet-unscheduled release of Woods’ The Cookout street album.
Written by richard on 04/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Straight Ballin'" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.