Based on the work of Pittsburgh’s most prominent rap representatives, Black and Yellow hitmaker Wiz Khalifa and rising star Mac Miller, a naïve listener might assume that the worst thing that can happen to you in the Steel City’s mean streets is that you get a little too baked. Here to dispel all illusions and introduce heads to the seamier side of his hometown is Booth newcomer Chevy Woods, with new mixtape single Straight Ballin’. While kush is indeed a factor in the emcee’s verses, delivered over the ominous organ chords of LthaGreat, it’s clear that Woods has something a little more serious than Mary Jane on his mind. After strongly implying through veiled threats and onomatopoeia that anyone who gets in his way has a slug or two in their near future, he claims “I don’t even talk about guns,” evidently daring some intrepid soul to point out his self-contradiction. Big Apple native Shiest Bubz handles guest duties, lacing the middle with his own nonchalant brand of block talk. Sure to garner repeat spins from those who like their hip-hop heavy on the grit, this joint is just one of many hard-hitting cuts showcased on Woods’ Red Cup Music street album, available now online.
Written by richard on 03/17/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.