Based on the work of Pittsburgh’s most prominent rap representatives, Black and Yellow hitmaker Wiz Khalifa and rising star Mac Miller, a naïve listener might assume that the worst thing that can happen to you in the Steel City’s mean streets is that you get a little too baked. Here to dispel all illusions and introduce heads to the seamier side of his hometown is Booth newcomer Chevy Woods, with new mixtape single Straight Ballin’. While kush is indeed a factor in the emcee’s verses, delivered over the ominous organ chords of LthaGreat, it’s clear that Woods has something a little more serious than Mary Jane on his mind. After strongly implying through veiled threats and onomatopoeia that anyone who gets in his way has a slug or two in their near future, he claims “I don’t even talk about guns,” evidently daring some intrepid soul to point out his self-contradiction. Big Apple native Shiest Bubz handles guest duties, lacing the middle with his own nonchalant brand of block talk. Sure to garner repeat spins from those who like their hip-hop heavy on the grit, this joint is just one of many hard-hitting cuts showcased on Woods’ Red Cup Music street album, available now online.
Written by richard on 03/17/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.