Whatever mysterious force has been transforming Empire State teenagers into seasoned 1990s cats (see Bishop Nehru, the Pro.Era collective), its influence seems to be spreading westward. Part of the latest generation of boom-bap revivalists, 15-year-old St. Louis native Chester Watson introduces himself to our pages with mixtape single Phantom. A freestyle over MF Grimm‘s Earth (off 2007 full-length The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man), the record finds Watson lacing Sammsonite and Stricknine‘s gritty production with deadpan, polysyllabically-rhymed lyrical flames: “From the bottom like totes with no handles / African shepherd, I’m leadin’ goats with no sandals. / N**gas sellin’ their soul for more stamina / Don’t invite yourself, I’m the host with no manners.” Prettywhores direct the cut’s official visuals. Fans can find Phantom and much more on the emcee’s street album of the same name, released digitally last October.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
University Records, LLC
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.