Whatever mysterious force has been transforming Empire State teenagers into seasoned 1990s cats (see Bishop Nehru, the Pro.Era collective), its influence seems to be spreading westward. Part of the latest generation of boom-bap revivalists, 15-year-old St. Louis native Chester Watson introduces himself to our pages with mixtape single Phantom. A freestyle over MF Grimm‘s Earth (off 2007 full-length The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man), the record finds Watson lacing Sammsonite and Stricknine‘s gritty production with deadpan, polysyllabically-rhymed lyrical flames: “From the bottom like totes with no handles / African shepherd, I’m leadin’ goats with no sandals. / N**gas sellin’ their soul for more stamina / Don’t invite yourself, I’m the host with no manners.” Prettywhores direct the cut’s official visuals. Fans can find Phantom and much more on the emcee’s street album of the same name, released digitally last October.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Submit your Rating
University Records, LLC
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.