Whatever mysterious force has been transforming Empire State teenagers into seasoned 1990s cats (see Bishop Nehru, the Pro.Era collective), its influence seems to be spreading westward. Part of the latest generation of boom-bap revivalists, 15-year-old St. Louis native Chester Watson introduces himself to our pages with mixtape single Phantom. A freestyle over MF Grimm‘s Earth (off 2007 full-length The Hunt for the Gingerbread Man), the record finds Watson lacing Sammsonite and Stricknine‘s gritty production with deadpan, polysyllabically-rhymed lyrical flames: “From the bottom like totes with no handles / African shepherd, I’m leadin’ goats with no sandals. / N**gas sellin’ their soul for more stamina / Don’t invite yourself, I’m the host with no manners.” Prettywhores direct the cut’s official visuals. Fans can find Phantom and much more on the emcee’s street album of the same name, released digitally last October.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Submit your Rating
University Records, LLC
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.