When Cheri Dennis made her last appearance in the Booth, Burmy led off his review by remarking upon the relentless “industry shenanigans” that had prevented her from getting a sophomore set onto store shelves. More than a year later, her situation sadly hasn’t progressed much – though you could count her departure from Bad Boy as a step in the right direction. Despite it all, though, Dennis still has plenty of wind in her sails; she’s still planning on takin’ over, and she doesn’t need anyone’s Permission but her own to do so. This new single finds Tubby Young setting the pace with breakneck percussion and airy synths as the rising soul starlet stakes her claim on the music game: “There ain’t no stoppin’ me, I am the all access pass, I kick ass, and ain’t no doubt I’m super-wicked.” It’s hard to harbor any doubts when she delivers those lines with such swagger and self confidence. But what do you think, Booth readers – is Cheri Dennis ready to bounce back and make 2011 her biggest year yet? Those rooting for her should keep it locked for release details on her forthcoming, as-yet-untitled second album.
Written by richard on 12/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Portrait ft. Yung Joc & Gorilla Zoe" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.