For many artists, the excitement of life on the road more than makes up for the stresses of a somewhat rootless existence—when family is thrown into that equation, though, one faces a dilemma with no clear-cut solution. Making its online premiere right here in the Booth, this new cut finds Brooklyn emcee Chen Lo letting his special lady know, “If you want me to, babe, I’ll Give It All Up.” Now that’s commitment! Is it ever necessary to put one’s dreams at someone else’s mercy? I don’t really know, but even if you’re not able to get behind Chen Lo’s decision to put it all on the line, it’s hard to argue with the heartfelt lyricism he brings to this record. Complete with a mellow yet energetic, acoustic guitar-driven instrumental by Rashad G and some soulful hook and bridge vocals by R&B singer Raphael Smith, GIAU is an infectiously, perhaps deceptively upbeat take on a tough topic. Though debut LP Chronicles of a Rebel hasn’t been officially released, those who like what they’re hearing should stay tuned to the Booth for more from the talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 05/18/09
Submit your Rating
Liberation Music Group/Shaman Works
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brooklyn ft. Damaja D & Mo Betta Blues" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.