Although the young, casual music fan may know Charlie Wilson more for his guest work with Kanye (today’s Good Friday, See Me Now) or Snoop (Can’t Say Goodbye, SD Is Out), the man has been churning out quality r&b and funk since his days as the frontman for The Gap Band in the ‘70s. Now gearing up to drop his third solo album, via Jive Records, the smooth singing man they call Uncle Charlie is back in the Booth with his new single, the supremely smooth You Are. From the slowly winding bass to the softly walking percussion, co-producers Charlie and Wyl-E build You Are around an archetypal r&b ballad, laced with notes of gospel influence. But, of course, centerstage belongs to Charlie’s voice, which soars over the track with a steadiness and deepness frankly unmatched by any younger voice in the game. With more “grab your lady close and slow dance” records like You Are undoubtedly on the way, delivery rooms worldwide should start preparing now for the influx of babies that will surely be arriving approximately nine months after Wilson’s upcoming, currently untitled and unscheduled album finally drops.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Supa Sexy ft. T-Pain" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.