Although the young, casual music fan may know Charlie Wilson more for his guest work with Kanye (today’s Good Friday, See Me Now) or Snoop (Can’t Say Goodbye, SD Is Out), the man has been churning out quality r&b and funk since his days as the frontman for The Gap Band in the ‘70s. Now gearing up to drop his third solo album, via Jive Records, the smooth singing man they call Uncle Charlie is back in the Booth with his new single, the supremely smooth You Are. From the slowly winding bass to the softly walking percussion, co-producers Charlie and Wyl-E build You Are around an archetypal r&b ballad, laced with notes of gospel influence. But, of course, centerstage belongs to Charlie’s voice, which soars over the track with a steadiness and deepness frankly unmatched by any younger voice in the game. With more “grab your lady close and slow dance” records like You Are undoubtedly on the way, delivery rooms worldwide should start preparing now for the influx of babies that will surely be arriving approximately nine months after Wilson’s upcoming, currently untitled and unscheduled album finally drops.
Listen to More: Charlie Wilson
Written by Nathan S. on 09/12/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.