Although the young, casual music fan may know Charlie Wilson more for his guest work with Kanye (today’s Good Friday, See Me Now) or Snoop (Can’t Say Goodbye, SD Is Out), the man has been churning out quality r&b and funk since his days as the frontman for The Gap Band in the ‘70s. Now gearing up to drop his third solo album, via Jive Records, the smooth singing man they call Uncle Charlie is back in the Booth with his new single, the supremely smooth You Are. From the slowly winding bass to the softly walking percussion, co-producers Charlie and Wyl-E build You Are around an archetypal r&b ballad, laced with notes of gospel influence. But, of course, centerstage belongs to Charlie’s voice, which soars over the track with a steadiness and deepness frankly unmatched by any younger voice in the game. With more “grab your lady close and slow dance” records like You Are undoubtedly on the way, delivery rooms worldwide should start preparing now for the influx of babies that will surely be arriving approximately nine months after Wilson’s upcoming, currently untitled and unscheduled album finally drops.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/12/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)