How hot are Charlie Smarts’ rhymes? Well, as the North Carolina emcee explains on this track off his newly-released f’alex LP, those who get in the way of his lyrical fire are liable to end up Well Done. Previously introduced to the Booth as a member of five-piece rap group Kooley High, the emcee flies solo here, flowing over a funky, Foolery-produced instrumental that, though considerably more upbeat than DeLa‘s boardwork on Kooley Is High, shares an old-school vibe with the group’s collective Booth debut. Smarts takes an equally retro-informed tack on the lyrical tip, tempering his scorching braggadocio with a bouncy, always amiable delivery sure to leave Booth regulars smiling. Cuts this Well Done are rare…. and, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting a little bit hungry. CS may not be able to treat all his fans to a steak dinner, but those craving a free meal can find more savory hip-hop goodness on f’alex, available for download here.
Listen to More: Charlie Smarts
Written by richard on 07/30/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.