How hot are Charlie Smarts’ rhymes? Well, as the North Carolina emcee explains on this track off his newly-released f’alex LP, those who get in the way of his lyrical fire are liable to end up Well Done. Previously introduced to the Booth as a member of five-piece rap group Kooley High, the emcee flies solo here, flowing over a funky, Foolery-produced instrumental that, though considerably more upbeat than DeLa‘s boardwork on Kooley Is High, shares an old-school vibe with the group’s collective Booth debut. Smarts takes an equally retro-informed tack on the lyrical tip, tempering his scorching braggadocio with a bouncy, always amiable delivery sure to leave Booth regulars smiling. Cuts this Well Done are rare…. and, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting a little bit hungry. CS may not be able to treat all his fans to a steak dinner, but those craving a free meal can find more savory hip-hop goodness on f’alex, available for download here.
Written by richard on 07/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.